Additional information about my family I've found during my research

From the book History of Iowa County, Iowa, 1881, page 520

BUTTERFIELD, W. E.— Of the firm of Butterfield & Co., proprietors of foundry and machine shops, Marengo. The subject of this sketch is a native of Port Huron, St. Clair county, Michigan, where he was raised and educated. After finishing his education he learned the machinist trade, which he continued until the spring of 1873, when he came to Scott Co., this State. There remained until February, 1876, when he came to this county, locating in Ladora, where he started a general repairing shop, but finally built a machine shop and later added a foundry. In October, 1879, he came to this city, built a foundry and machine shop, which was burned down Sunday morning, June 27, 1880. Although the firm has met with misfortunes they have rebuilt and are prepared to do all kinds of work in their line. Mr. B. is a thorough business man as well as a master me­chanic. He has been twice married. First in Michigan, on the 20th of November, 1867, to Miss Ruth Townsend. By that union they had three children: Emory, Ella and Herbert. Mrs. B. died Nov. 18, 1874, and he was again married in Ladora, December 3, 1877, to Miss Mary Terry. They have two children: Emma and Roy.
BUTTERFIELD, JAMES—Of the firm of Butterfield & Co., proprie­tors of foundry and machine shop. Was born in England, on the 12th day of April, 1831, and when very young (one year old), he was brought by his parents to America, landing in Quebec. From there he went to other parts of Canada and in the winter of 1837 or 1838, to Michi­gan, where he was educated. After leaving school he commenced lumber­ing, blacksmithing, etc., which he followed until 1857. Then went to Missouri, remaining there until 1860, when he moved to Illinois, and Sep­tember 23, 1861, enlisted in the Tenth Illinois cavalry, and was appointed captain of company I. Was in the service until July, 1862, when he resigned on account of disability; then came to Scott county, Iowa, commenced farm­ing, which he continued until January 1,1876, when he came to this county. First located in Ladora, where, with his nephew, he followed blacksmith­ing, then built a machine shop and later a foundry. Mr. B. was married in Scott county, Iowa, November 2, 1870, to Synthia E. Stiles. Their family consists of five children: Lettie E., Frank A., Maggie A., Eva M. and John W.

Froilman. His birth occurred in Colberg, Prus­sia, Germany, on the 1st of November, 1839. He is a son of Carl and Willhemina (Ebert) Meyer, both natives of the same country. When sixteen years of age his father entered the Prussian army and served there a period of some six years. Afterward he became Assistant Warden of the penitentiary at Naugard. He continued in office until the labor became too arduous for his advanc­ing years, and was then retired on a pension, which he drew as long as he lived. The mother is still living. In their family were nine children, of whom five sons and three daughters yet sur­vive. All of the boys came to the United States. Otto resides in Gilman, while William, Paul and Ernest make their homes at Peoria.
Our subject is the third child of his father's family, and received such education as was af­forded by the common schools of his native land. When about fourteen years of age he went into a store and clerked for four years for merely nom­inal wages, and the following two years at a very small salary. Being of age to go into the army at that time, he was once mustered into service, but being put off a year, he obtained a visitor's pass and came to America. In 1859 he sailed for Quebec from Hamburg, taking one hundred and fourteen days to reach his destination. While passing through the Irish Channel, a violent wind­storm stripped the rigging from the vessel, and they were obliged to run into port for repairs. They were further delayed for six days on Gross Island, on account of the presence of varioloid on board. Landing in America in August, he first visited Quebec and Toronto, and then came on as far as Milwaukee. As he has never concluded his visit to the United States, doubtless his pass is still good. He next went to Manistee, Mich.,and soon afterward started for Galveston, Tex., but only proceeded as far as Memphis, on account of the breaking out of the war. He then turned back to St. Louis, and finally came to Iroquois County, working on a farm near Loda.
That it was owing to no lack of bravery that our subject evaded the law of his Fatherland, subjecting all young men to military service and discipline, is shown by the fact that after coming to the United States he turned no deaf ear to the call of his adopted country for defenders of the Union, but donned the blue and started fearlessly to the rescue of the Flag. August 13, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Illinois Infantry, but as that company's ranks were already full, was placed in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, which joined the Cumber­land Army. For some time he was placed on guard duty, and the first battle in which he participated was Resaca. Afterward he took part in the battles of Dallas, Lost Mountain and Kenesaw Mountain. While carrying a log off a hill at Dal­las, he received severe internal injuries, and after the battle of Kenesaw Mountain was sent to the rear. For some eight months he was in the hos­pital at Nashville, and when he was able he re­joined his command in Virginia, remaining in the service until discharged in Chicago, in June, 1865. Mr. Meyer made a good soldier, and has an army record of which no one need be ashamed. He was ever at his post of duty, and showed great courage on all occasions.
In February, 1866, Mr. Meyer came to Gilman, and embarked in the meat-market business. Sub­sequently he was in the grocery trade, and for the last seventeen years has been a dealer in furniture, and also carries on the undertaking business.
Mr. Meyer was married in September, 1870, at Watseka, to Miss Kate Gross, a native of Bavaria, Germany, who came in her childhood to the United States with her parents. To our worthy subject and his wife were born five children: Edward; Laura, who died when about nine years old; Lizzie, Arthur and Carl.
Mr. and Mrs. Meyer are both supporters of the Lutheran Church. Politically, our subject was a Republican until 1872, and since that time has been a stanch advocate of the Democracy. He is an influential man in political circles, and takes an active part in political meetings and conven­tions. The fellow-citizens of Mr. Meyer, appre­ciating his worth and ability, have frequently called upon him to serve in public positions. He is still a member of the Board of Aldermen of Gilman, and has served as such for a number of years. He is Town Clerk, and has served for some five years as Collector, and for sixteen years has been Justice of the Peace. The duties of these offices he has ever discharged in a prompt and faithful manner, thus winning the respect of even his political enemies. Socially, he is a Mason, Odd Fellow and Commander of Gilman Post No. 186, G. A. R. Mr. Meyer is in good circum­stances, and has prospered in his business. During his long residence of over a quarter of a century in this locality he has made many friends by his upright and straightforward life.

From the book History of Peoria County, Illinois, 1880, pages 674-675

MEYER PAUL, beer bottler, 110 S. Adams street, was born in Germany, Dec 10, 1849. Son of Charles and Wilhelmine Meyer, who still reside in Germany. He emigrated to America in 1867 and located in Peoria. Was shipping clerk and traveling agent for one of the Peoria tobacco houses. Married, Dec. 10, 1871, to Margaret Schwers. She was born in Peoria, Nov. 9, 1855. They have had three children: Carl (deceased), Paul and Gertrude. Commenced his present occupation, in partnership with Conrad, in Aug., 1879.

From the book History of Stark County, Illinois, 1887, pages 633-634

Leo Julg, son of Andrew and Rosanna Julg, both natives of Baden, Germany, was born there March 30, 1835. In 1852 he came to the United States, landed at New Orleans, proceeded to Peoria, Ill., and there learned the shoemaker's trade. In 1856 he moved to Woodford county, farmed there one season, resumed his trade at Penola, in that county, where he resided until 1859, when he returned to Peoria, worked there a few months, when he moved to Minonk, Ill., and estab­lishing a shop remained there until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company H, Seventy-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He with seven others were captured at Mansfield, La., and shared the terrible ordeal of life in rebel prisons for thirteen months and nineteen days, being exchanged May 29, 1865. There is one bright memory con­nected with his imprisonment. It was the celebration of July 4, 1864, by 3,500 Union men in prison. One of them read the Declaration, while another brought forth a Union flag, fastened it to a pole, and raised it over the brush wakiup, which they built for shade. The prisoners cheered lustily, while the guards looked sullenly at the old flag as it floated above a rebel stronghold. In June, 1865, he was mustered out, hurried to Minonk to meet his wife — Miss Ernestina Happert, a native of Oldenburg, Germany, to whom he was married in 1861 — and resided there until 1874, when he came to Castleton, where he has since followed his trade. In society matters he is a member of James Jackson Post, G. A. K., and of the Odd Fellows' society. To Mr. and Mrs. Julg two children were born, both of whom are numbered among the dead.

From the book History of Greene and Jersey Counties, Illinois, 1885, pages 936-937

William Winters, a native of Germany, was born in 1820, he being a son of Jacob and Adeline Winters, both of whom were natives of Germany. William bid adieu to his friends and Fatherland in 1858, and embarked on a vessel for America, and at the end of 61 days arrived in New Orleans. From the latter point he took steamboat passage for St. Louis, arriving there 13 days later. From there he went to Alton, and later to Carlinville, coming to Greene county from the later point, and buying 80 acres of land. Most of it was raw land, which he has since improved and added to, until he now has 160 acres of good land, all of which is located in Linder township. William Winters was united in marriage, March 2, 1853, with Elizabeth Gilman, a native of Germany. By their marriage they have been blessed with eight children - Elizabeth, the wife of James Martin, of Dakota; John, who accidentally shot himself while out hunting, and died six weeks later, Feb. 27, 1885; George, living in Linder township; Maggie, wife of Moses Freer, of Rockbridge township; Susan, wife of Joseph Bower, of Kane township; Mary, wife of A. Johnson, of Solomon City, Kan.; William and Katie, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Winters are members of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Winters' grandfather lived to the ripe old age of 105 years, his father to the age of 99 years, six months, and eight days, and his mother to the age of 88 years and two months. Thus it will be seen that the Winters family is a long-lived one.

From the Peoria Star, July 9, 1900

Distressing Street Car Accident Early This Morning
At 6:30 o'clock this morning Mathew Juleg was knocked down and run over by an Averyville car on the corner of Adams and Lorenz streets in that vil­lage. His body kept clear of the rails but his right arm was so badly crushed between the elbow and the wrist that it had to be amputated. His left land was badly mangled but as there is a possibility of saving the thumb and forefinger the doctors trimmed the hand to that end. Medical assistance was prompt for soon after the accident occurred Drs. Collins, Weil and Baldwin were in attendance and after they had given him first aid the pa­tient was removed to St. Francis hos­pital in the ambulance.
Juelg is a farm hand who had been working for Frank Dubois across the river. Yesterday he came to town and drank a good deal. Last night he crossed the upper bridge and slept at the house of a friend. Getting up early he began drinking again at a saloon on the other side and then crossed the bridge to Averyville. In attempting to board the car he fell in front of it and met with his injur­ies. With only one hand he will have to turn his attention to some occupa­tion other than farming.

From the Marengo Republican, June 30, 1885

Another Fire!


Last Sunday morning, between the hours of one and two o'clock, an alarm of fire was given by the bell on the Hose house, and in a few minutes people were on the fly for the southeast part of town, the beautiful illumination of the firma­ment indicating that the fire was in that direction. It proved to be the foundry and machine shop of the Messrs. Butterfield.

Mr. Montgomery, the night watchman at the depot, was the first to discover the glimmering light, as he supposes in the northwest corner of the main building. He was on the railroad track east of the depot, at the time, and started to see what was going on at the foundry. Before he quite reached it the flames rolled out of the cracks, and thinking he could do nothing alone he ran up the street, giv­ing the alarm at the top of his voice. The two fire companies "got there" in good time, as did hundreds of spectators, but the fire had made too much headway, and all they could do was to stand afar off and gaze-on the fire as it rapidly con­sumed what was left.

The building was entirely destroyed, together with pretty much all its con­tents, very little being saved. Messrs. Butterfield estimate their total loss, in­cluding their books, at about $4,000. There is an insurance of about $1,000.

How the fire originated, or what caused it is a mystery at present and will prob­ably remain so until the end of time. Ev­ery precaution had been taken to guard against fire, and the building had been visited about 10 o'clock at which time there was every indication that every­thing was in perfect safety. The calam­ity is a sad one for the Messrs. Butterfield. They have been laboring against the tide, with the odds against them, but had succeeded in overcoming the most serious difficulties, and were in a fair way of making a success at the business, which was increasing, with every pros­pect of their becoming one of the fixed institutions of our city; but in one short hour all their brilliant prospects were swept away, and now they will have to commence at the bottom of the ladder again.

The Hook and Ladder Company was first on the ground and began to remove some of the machinery in close proximity, saving it from destruction. However they were soon ordered to a neighboring barn, which had caught fire from the sparks, but which was soon put out without doing any damage.

The Hose Company arrived on the ground promptly and got ready for busi­ness, but soon burst one of the lengths of hose. While changing and arranging the hose, the hydrant was shut off, which threw the water back on the pump. The parties in charge at the mill supposed from this that the fire was out, and accordingly shut off the power, thus putting a stop to further operation by the Hose Company.

ting a stop to further operation by the Hose Company.